Maison & Objet 2013

Last weekend found me working my bilingual socks off at the design trade fair Maison et Objet in Paris. It's such an awesome privilege to get to go, I work with an Irish company Foxford as their French interpreter for the 5 days and get first glimpse at the next season's hottest buys in the world of interiors.

Getting to know people and seeing all kinds of business interests come together is an ace spectator sport. My mentor and amazing friend Helen was there, she who kindly let me intern with her all last year in Dublin, so I got to hang out with her. She is a straight-talking cat if ever there was one.

My pal from uni Lorna is now a proper interior designer and *everything* so she popped onto the stand to say hi, having come straight from the VIP lounge, naturally, where she was being smoozed by clients. We went on to take Montmartre that night in cosy style just right for a snowy night.

Big up to all in Hall 2 Aisle F who kept it classy - between French guys offering red wine and cheese for lunch and champagne on the dot at 5pm every evening to a gift  of the most cosy kid mohair scarf from the super-friendly South African Heritage Weavers, it was all about the good vibez where we were at.

But back to the goodz - I had a wander around Hall 7, the most fantastic and magical of all, where the playgrounds of the rich and famous are made. As usual, textures always catch my eye, and some of the fabrics and materials used were a total focal point in themselves. Expect the unexpected is always a good one; a vase covered in children's limbs? I can't believe I didn't think of that one myself.










A carpet scattered with crystals



Opulence money can't buy...









A Roberto Cavalli chandelier for when a regular chandelier just won't do...

2 comments:

  1. Crystal carpet - looks just like my house (except it dog hair not crystals, same diff). Love that silver skeleton. That vase is frightening and looks like something Jack and Dinos Chapman would do...
    Still, I missed being there - maybe next year, le grand sigh.

    Thankfifi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yeah you were missed! Crystal carpets, I don't know, I have to say in Hall 2 we do keep things a little more (stylishly) practical!

      Looking forward to seeing you there in September... or mayhaps in Glasgow one of these days!

      Rena x

      Delete